February 14 is just around the corner and you know what that means… National Condom Day! That’s right, Valentine’s Day is also National Condom Day and the beginning of National Condom Week (February 14-21). We’d like to use the occasion as an opportunity to remind you of the importance and effectiveness of condom use. Consistent and correct use of latex condoms is highly effective in preventing the transmission of HIV.
National Condom Day and Week aims to raise awareness of the following key messages:
- Condom use – Use condoms or dams to help prevent HIV and other sexually transmissible infections (STIs). Condoms also help prevent pregnancy.
- Consent – Communicate with your partner/s and check in regularly. Consent is essential.
- Pleasure. Condoms come in a multitude of shapes, colors, textures and sizes. Have fun with them.
- Testing – Testing for HIV and STIs is easy and important. Let people know where they can be tested.
Organizations across Texas will be distributing condoms on National Condom Day. Does your organization distribute condoms? If so, consider:
- Keeping condoms in a location that is visible and openly accessible to clients such as on a counter; in an open container, or in a clear plastic, or glass container.
- Advertising to promote distribution and usage of condoms using signs and posters, print materials, and your web site. Use the hashtag #condomday2020 on social media.
One of the Achieving Together Plan’s focus areas is to promote the continuum of HIV prevention, care, and treatment. Condoms can be used in coordination with PrEP as a reliable tool to prevent the transmission of HIV.
Want to learn more?
- Learn how to use male and female condoms.
- Learn how to talk to a partner about condoms and safer sex.
- Download a fact sheet from the CDC.
To celebrate National Condom Week, we’ve compiled some of our favorite condom ads and campaigns. Enjoy!